I’m looking outside at the bit of snow that has covered the ground and roof tops. It’s a brisk 25 or so degrees and, in my New England mind, feels just about right. Cool enough to make you take a deep breath once in a while. It’s good to be outside in the cold, isn’t it?
This kind of weather gives me the Christmas feel goods, like a clean, white, shiny kitchen wall feels clean. It’s refreshing and pure.
This morning, while the kiddos are sleeping in Jeremy and I are putting a tree up on our patio, wrapping it in red lights. I can’t wait to sit by the fire wrapped in scarves, coats and blankets, watching a breath and with a Christmas tree right behind us.
On chilly winter days like today, a pot of soup is just what we want. This Homemade Beef Stew is an easy crockpot recipe. Everything goes in the pot at once. The longer it simmers the better-an easy one to make in the morning and leave alone for the rest of the day.
2 Sirloin Steaks (frozen or fresh)
2 large golden or white potatoes
2 whole carrots
3 stalks celery
1 large onion
2 cups water
2 32 oz. Broth (chicken, beef or vegetable-any of them will work)
- Pour broth into crockpot
- Place whole steaks in crock pot. Begin to simmer.
- Cut remaining vegetables into bite-sized pieces. Place all in crock pot.
- Let cook for at least four hours. Longer is fine-this would be great to come home to after a long day out.
- 30 minutes before eating, remove steaks and cut into bite sized pieces. Place back into crockpot and leave until ready to eat.
- Serve hot with Jordan House Popovers or homemade biscuits.