Have you had Olive Garden’s Risotto Ball appetizer? We don’t go there nearly as often as we did years ago (like hello..we probably sent the manger’s family on vacation), but when we do it’s def on my favorites list of things to get.
And the salad…oh man that salad dressing.
I’ve been wanting to try making Risotto Balls at home and today was the day! Yay! I figured since I accidentally bought 50 pounds of rice I had no excuse to not make them.
So…these are a tiny bit messy, but easy. Also, it’s a great way to use leftover rice. I think next time I will make them with a bit more seasoning on the inside, and a little smaller in size. Either way..they were still good. Served with a side salad and some marinara sauce for dipping they made for an quick weeknight meal.
2 cups cooked rice, cooled
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
1/4 tsp powdered garlic
1/4 tsp powdered onion
2 beaten eggs
1 cup flour, breadcrumbs or crushed corn flakes (I used King Arthur’s Gluten Free All Purpose Flour)
1 cup oil for frying
Marinara Sauce for dipping.
- In a large bowl add rice, mozzarella, garlic, onion, and eggs.
- Mix well.
- Add oil to pan and heat on medium.
- While oil is heating begin to made balls. Using a teaspoon collect a spoonful of rice mixture and using your hands (I coated my hands with flour because the rice mixture was sticking to my hands making it difficult to form ball.) form into a ball.
- Coat the rice ball with flour and shake off excess flour.
- Place rice ball carefully in heated oil until brown on one side. Flip and brown on opposite side.
- When both sides are browned remove from oil and place on paper towel to drain excess oil.
- Let cool for 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, warm marinara sauce for dipping.