There is one person in our house who likes Eggplant.
It is not me.
It is also not Jeremy or Kaitlyn or even the dog.
But Anna loves loves it.
We were gifted an eggplant this week and it’s just the perfect size for a party of one.
Eggplant is a great way to have a vegetable based meal and costs very little to make. A little breadcrumb, a little cheese and the rest of that pasta sauce left in the jar. Throw in a few spices and you’re good to go.
1 small eggplant, peeled and sliced into 1/4″ rounds
1 cup breadcrumbs or corn flake crumbs
1/4 cup grated parmasean cheese
1/4 tsp each of powdered garlic and powdered onion
1 cup tomato sauce
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp cooking oil
1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar or mozzeralla)
- In a small bowl mix breadcrumbs, parm cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.
- In a separate small bowl beat egg.
- Place cooking oil in a frying pan and heat on medium.
- Dip each eggplant slice into beaten egg, then into breadcrumb mixture. Place in hot oil.
- Repeat until all eggplant slices are coated and in frying pan.
- Heat each eggplant slice until brown, about 5 minutes. Flip and repeat on second side.
- Spray mini loaf pan.
- Begin layering: eggplant, half of shredded cheese, half of sauce. Repeat.
- Bake at 350 until cheese is browned or melted, your preference.