This is darn good soup, worthy of the time and the little effort it takes to put it together. It’ll taste great the first day. Better the second, and if there’s any left by the third day even better. Jeremy is quickly becoming the soup maker around here, and we aren’t hatin’ it!
Anyway, enough salivating…here is the recipe for Homemade Chicken Soup.
1 whole chicken, about 6 lbs, innards removed and chicken rinsed
1 head of celery
1 large onion, chopped
6 whole carrots, peeled and chopped into bite sized pieces
3 garlic cloves, diced or crushed
3/4 cup whole grain, uncooked rice
3 cups corn, optional
1 large soup pot
1 sprig of fresh thyme
- In large soup pot place whole chicken.
- Cover chicken with water.
- Bring water to a boil and then turn it on medium for 2 hours, until cooked through.
- Remove chicken from pot and place on cutting board.
- Debone entire chicken and place meat back into soup pot.
- Add chopped celery, garlic, chopped carrots, rice, chopped onions, (corn if using) and sprig of thyme.
- Return to a boil and let simmer for 2-3 more hours.
- Remove thyme before serving.
Serving hints: add a dollop of sour cream or flaked hot peppers