We had a lot of potatoes left from some a friend had given us. We eat quite a bit of mashed potatoes, roasted potatoes, smashed potatoes, homemade chips and just recently potato salad. It was time for something different with these potatoes so I looked for what I could do differently with it.
I stared into the refrigerator like a teenager does who’s pretty sure something brand new will show up if they stare long enough and I found a bunch of different types of cheeses (I really don’t know why we had so many), milk and butter. I cut the potatoes very thinly and began layering potatoes, cheese, potatoes, cheese, potatoes, cheese and then put a few pats of butter on top and poured some milk over all of it. It baked for about an hour and everyone gave two thumbs up.
1 large potato per person
any kind of cheese, shredded (about 2 cups)
1 1/2 cups milk
5 tbsp butter (cut into pads)
salt and pepper to taste
- Spray an 8×8 baking dish with non-stick spray
- Wash and slice potatoes to about 1/4 inch
- Place one layer of potatoes to cover the bottom of the dish
- Layer with a handful of cheese
- Layer Potatoes and Cheese until both are gone or pan in full
- Place pads of butter on top
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Pour milk just to the top layer of potatoes.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Check tenderness of potatoes. If needed bake until potatoes are fork tender.