There are three basic ingredients needed for Strawberry Shortcakes–
- Base (cake, biscuit, shortcake)
- Cream for topping (ice cream, milk, whipped topping, Cool Whip)
I’m listing the easiest, tastiest version of Strawberry Shortcake I know…the one I grew up eating straight out of New England. In New England we use biscuits, sugared berries, and Homemade Whipped Cream.
2 quarts of fresh strawberries (or frozen berries, thawed)
1/4-1/2 cup white sugar
1 large biscuit (homemade or bought) per person
Homemade Whipped Cream
- Remove stem from strawberries, wash berries and pat dry.
- Place strawberries in large mixing bowl.
- Add 1/4 cup sugar.
- Using potato masher or hand-held dough/pastry blender crush berry mixture, leaving small chunks of berries.
- Taste for sweetness, adding 1/4 sugar if desired. Mix well.
Building the Shortcake
- Cut biscuit in half lengthwise.
- Place 1/2 of the biscuit on a plate.
- Layer with a whole lotta strawberries.
- Add second half of biscuit.
- Load with more strawberries.
- Top with Homemade Whipped Cream.
- Eat.The calories won’t count.