I sat in Kaitlyn’s Martial Arts class on Tuesday and wrote lists of salads and salad dressing flavors. It’s how I roll. Since we are wanting to eat a more plant based diet what better is there than giant dinner salads? Also, considering our latest grocery haul and our massive amounts of lettuce, tonight’s warmer weather and a busy night, with two of us going one way and two of us going the other way, salad was a no brainer. I put a steak (also from yesterday’s grocery haul) in the oven to slow cook for a couple of hours this afternoon. We needed dinner to be ready for 4:00 tonight, so at 3:30 I began prepping the salad items. We also had cheese left from a church dinner that was sent home with us, so this was perfect combination.
Ingredients for 4 people:
1 large head of Romaine lettuce, washed
1 steak, thawed
cubed or shredded cheese (any flavor)
1 large green pepper
1/2 large onion
1 tsp. olive oil
- Two hours before eating place steak in baking pan, sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper. Cover and bake on 200 degrees until steak can easily be shredded with two forks.
- 30 minutes before eating begin prep of veggies.
- In a saute pan add olive oil and heat.
- Slice peppers and onion very thin, crush garlic. Add all three to hot pan.
- Saute lightly…enough to brown veggies, but not enough that they will lose their crispy bite.
- While veggies are sauteing chop lettuce into bit sized pieces.
- When green peppers and onions are finished begin building your salad.
- Layer on individual plates or one large serving plate: chopped lettuce, shredded steak, sauteed veggies, cheese.
- Place plate under broiler for one minute-just enough for the cheese to begin melting.
Let plate cool and add dressing! Ranch would be great, but we liked Thousand Island on it.
Homemade Thousand Island Dressing Recipe:
In a bowl whisk together equal parts mayonnaise OR sour cream and ketchup. Add enough olive oil to thin mixture. You can also add relish if you like.