Hot Peppers are like gold around here. We grow our own AND generally take whatever others give us and then buy some at farm markets if they are on a good sale. They freeze so well that months later we are still enjoying hot peppers.
One way to preserve them is to make pepper flakes with them. Pepper flakes can be added to ANYTHING. You can use fresh or frozen peppers to make pepper flakes.
- Cut peppers into evenly sized chunks
- Spread pepper chunks on baking pan
- Bake at 200 degree F for 4 or more hours OR until peppers are dried
- Let cool
- Place in a mortar and pestle and crush finely.
- Store pepper flakes in a cool, dry place, in a sealed container-keeping them with your others herbs is perfect.