Using up leftovers….random items from the cupboard…the last bit of cereal in the bag…those marshmallows you’re pretty sure multiplied overnight and now you should do something with them. That’s the beauty of this recipe. It’s not extravagant to make but really tasty and easy.
1 stick of butter (not margarine)
10 oz. large marshmallows
10.5 oz. mini marshmallows
1 16 oz. container chocolate frosting, or your own homemade frosting.
5 cups Cheerios
Shelled, crushed peanuts to garnish
- In a large kettle melt butter and 10 oz large marshmallows.
- When it’s all mixed and has a smooth consistency add the Cheerios.
- Mix very well.
- When all mixed add bag of mini marshmallows.
- Mix again. The mini’s will remain whole and unmelted.
- Spray a 9×13 cake pan with cooking spray or grease with butter.
- Add Cheerio mixture to pan and flatten into pan.
- Let cool.
- While bars are cooling crush peanuts into small chunks.
- After bars are cooled spread chocolate frosting over bars.
- Garnish with peanuts and serve.
- Use a plastic spoon or rubber spatula to mix.
- If you’re not into peanuts, leave them out.
- Other toppings could be crushed frozen peanut butter cups, pretzels, any type of nut mix.
- When cutting to serve spray your knife or spatula, it’ll make slicing through the sticky bars much easier.