I discovered a recipe for Apple Butter Bars last year. They are wonderful. I’m making it again today, except I’m using Pear Butter (find my recipe here). The recipe I’m using is from Food.com, with a couple of exceptions. I lessened the amount of sugar and removed the salt. I’m using pear butter instead of apple butter and King Arthur’s All Purpose Gluten Free Baking Mix instead of flour. If you have Celiac and there is the concern about oatmeal being glutenized, you can adjust accordingly, as this recipe calls for oatmeal. If your body just decided one day to hate you and develop a gluten intolerance and be a real pain in the rear like mine has oats might be okay for you.
I miss pizza.
On a side note…if you like food history here’s a link for the history of King Arthur Flour. I find these things interesting.
Here’s the recipe I used for Pear Butter Bars, adapted from Food.com’s recipe.
2 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup King Arthur’s All-Purpose Gluten Free baking mix
1/2 cup sugar
1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3⁄4 cup salted butter softened to room temperature
1 cup pear butter
You will use a 9×9 square baking pan or round pan for this recipe.
- Place oats, baking mix, sugar, cinnamon and butter in a bowl.
- Mix well. Mixture should be crumbly.
- Using half of the mixture, press it into the bottom of your baking pan.
- Spread 1 Cup of Pear Butter over the mixture.
- Layer the remaining crumb mixture on top of the Pear Butter.
- Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before cutting into it.