Octopi vs. Octopuses, Owl’s Ears and Dizzy Drunk-A Day in the Life of a Homeschooler

Digging worms in the rain for a science project;

Watching one 30 minute episode of I Love Lucy during our lunch of sweet potatoes and Tomato Mozzarella Salad;

Convincing the dog she doesn’t actually want the sweet potato peel from lunch;

Wrapping said dog up in a blanket because, despite the fact that she is 400% covered with black fur we think she’s cold;

Eating THESE homemade granola bars that Anna made yesterday. They are our go-to recipe from Kitchen Stewardship and the recipe we use 99% of the time. The other 1% is store bought in a pinch;

Re-learning function tables and Domain/Factor/Range in Algebra 1.

x+3=y kind of stuff;

I actually really do....
I actually really do….

Getting one physical done at the doctor’s because as much as I don’t want admit it my baby isn’t a baby and is in sixth grade and all sixth graders in our state need physicals and now I have less than seven years and I’m an empty-nester.

I’m not handling this information well.

We also learned that Barn Owls have asymmetrical ears-one is higher, one is lower and that this helps them hunt.

Read more here:

http://www.owlpages.com/articles.php?section=Owl+Physiology&title=Hearing

Reading a chapter on Mollusks, Snails, Octopus and Slugs lead us to the debate:

Is it Octopi or Octopuses? Or the rarely used Octopod?

Naturally we googled and found this:

According to Merriam-Webster either Octopi OR Octopuses is correct plural usage of more than one octopus.

Check it out: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/octopus

I also  learned this new phrase: dizzy drunk. Some ants in one of Kaitlyn’s books got dizzy drunk from spinning too much. I’m not entirely sure it was used correctly. But I’m also not entirely UN-sure it wasn’t.

I have no idea.

-cs

One thought on “Octopi vs. Octopuses, Owl’s Ears and Dizzy Drunk-A Day in the Life of a Homeschooler

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s