Drop everything and make this salad now. Throw the rest of your groceries out the window. You won’t need them after you make this. Trust me. It’s that good.
I’ve said it before…most of my recipes are easy, simple, and the ingredients are interchangeable. There are some things…cakes, cookies, pies, etc. that need to be measured, but I tend to gravitate toward recipes where I don’t have to measure every single item. This salad recipe is no different.
You’ll need a big bowl and a sturdy mixing spoon. This salad is pretty big.
3 large chicken breasts, fully cooked and cooled.
1-10 oz. package of Ocean Spray Craisins
1-6 or 8 oz. package chopped walnuts
2 cups red seedless grapes, washed, dried and cut in half
10 celery stalks, washed, dried, slit vertically and cut into bite sized pieces
3 medium, firm Macintosh Apples
1 1/2 -2 Cups Hellman’s Mayonnaise
In a large (LARGE) bowl:
Shred chicken breasts by using two forks. The pieces should be bite sized.
Place package of Ocean Spray Craisins, package of walnuts, sliced grapes and celery into bowl.
Measure 1 cup Hellman’s Mayonnaise. Add it to the chicken mixture.
Mix everything together until mixed well.
Please don’t use Miracle Whip.
You might need more mayonnaise. This is totally your judgement.
Cut the apples into small bite sized pieces. Add them just before serving and mix everything again.
This makes a larger party or family sized amount of salad.
- If you’re not into mayo, substitute plain yogurt. Use the amount that feels right to your taste buds.
- If you’re not into Craisins, or nuts, or grapes or apples or celery throw them out with the rest of the groceries and pretend I never suggested it. Or if you’re totally into them add more!
- The walnuts could be substituted with almonds or pecans.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve.
- This can be made a day ahead.
Oh man, I’m wishing I had some right now.